Humidtropics, in collaboration with Dryland Systems and Aquatic Agricultural Systems (AAS), is organising an international conference on integrated systems research. Entitled Systems Research for Sustainable Intensification in Smallholder Agriculture, the conference will deal with major components within systems research in agriculture. The purpose of the conference is to learn from research undertakings on integrated systems, with an emphasis on results: data, methods and lessons learned. The conference will take place at the Conference Center of IITA in Ibadan, Nigeria, from October 7 to 10, 2014.
Theme: The Role of Systems Research in Sustainable Intensification
Core questions to be addressed include:
- What is sustainable intensification in the context of smallholder agriculture in the developing world?
- What is systems research and how does it result in or contribute to development outcomes?
- What is the evidence for scientific underpinnings of systems research?
- What role do development partners, farmer organizations and non-governmental agencies play in systems research and its link towards development?
- How practical are R4D (Research for Development) and Innovation Platforms as mechanisms for building and implementing partnerships and participatory approaches for systems research?
- How is gender, including the dimensions of women, men and youth, addressed to optimise effectiveness and efficiency in agricultural systems research for development?
- What are the policy dimensions that are related to sustainable intensification and systems research, and how may these be leveraged to strengthen the development outcomes of research?
Key session topics are:
- Strategic Initiatives in Integrated Systems Research for Development
- Scoping Systems Research: Systems Analysis and Characterization
- Integrated Systems Improvement and Sustainable Intensification
- Social Science, Policy and Gender Dimensions of Systems Research
- Taking Systems Research to Scale: R4D and Innovation Platforms, Innovation Systems, Institutional Innovation and Scaling
Keynote speakers include Dr. Julio Berdegué, Principal Researcher, Latin American Centre for Rural Development (Rimisp); Prof. Andy Hall, Researcher, Evaluator and Advisor on the application of systems ideas in the field of agricultural science technology and innovation policy and practice; Dr. James Sumberg, Agriculturalist with over 25 years of experience working on small-scale farming systems and agricultural research policy in sub-Saharan Africa and Latin America; and Dr. Jacqueline Ashby, Senior Advisor on Gender and Research, CGIAR Consortium.
Organizing Partners: IITA, ICRAF, ILRI, CIAT, Bioversity, IWMI, CIP, AVRDC, Wageningen University, icipe, FARA
Organizing Secretariat: Humidtropics, IITA, Ibadan, Nigeria
Registration: to support our ability to share targeted information and updates to intending participants, you are requested to complete a simple online registration at http://humidtropics.cgiar.org/conference1/registration
The call for papers and posters is now closed but if you wish to attend the conference, you can still register using the link above. Successful applicants will be contacted before August 15, 2014.
The full conference announcement is available here: Conference Announcement (PDF)
Top photo: Murambi, Rwanda, by Bernard Vanlauwe, IITA.