Humidtropics, in collaboration with Dryland Systems and Aquatic Agricultural Systems (AAS), is organising an international conference on integrated systems research. Entitled Integrated Systems Research for Sustainable Intensification in Smallholder Agriculture, the conference will deal with major components within systems research in agriculture. The purpose of the conference is to learn from research undertakings on integrated systems, with an emphasis on results: data, methods and lessons learned. The conference will take place at the Conference Center of IITA in Ibadan, Nigeria, from March 3 to 6, 2015.
A revised program, including keynote speakers and registration fee will be published soon.
Theme: The Role of Systems Research in Sustainable Intensification
Core questions to be addressed include:
- What is sustainable intensification in the context of smallholder agriculture in the developing world?
- What is systems research and how does it result in or contribute to development outcomes?
- What is the evidence for scientific underpinnings of systems research?
- What role do development partners, farmer organizations and non-governmental agencies play in systems research and its link towards development?
- How practical are R4D (Research for Development) and Innovation Platforms as mechanisms for building and implementing partnerships and participatory approaches for systems research?
- How is gender, including the dimensions of women, men and youth, addressed to optimise effectiveness and efficiency in agricultural systems research for development?
- What are the policy dimensions that are related to sustainable intensification and systems research, and how may these be leveraged to strengthen the development outcomes of research?
Key session topics are:
- Strategic Initiatives in Integrated Systems Research for Development
- Scoping Systems Research: Systems Analysis and Characterization
- Integrated Systems Improvement and Sustainable Intensification
- Social Science, Policy and Gender Dimensions of Systems Research
- Taking Systems Research to Scale: R4D and Innovation Platforms, Innovation Systems, Institutional Innovation and Scaling
Organizing Partners: IITA, ICRAF, ILRI, CIAT, Bioversity International, IWMI, CIP, AVRDC, Wageningen University, icipe, FARA
Organizing Secretariat: Humidtropics, IITA, Ibadan, Nigeria
Registration: to support our ability to share targeted information and updates to intending participants, you are requested to complete a simple online registration at https://humidtropics.cgiar.org/conference1/registration/
The call for papers and posters is now closed but if you wish to attend the conference, you can still register using the link above.
Any inquiries can be directed to Mrs. Willemien Brooijmans at W.Brooijmans@cgiar.org
Top photo: Murambi, Rwanda, by Bernard Vanlauwe, IITA.