Please download the latest version of the program 3MB.
Humidtropics, in collaboration with Dryland Systems and Aquatic Agricultural Systems (AAS), is organizing an international conference on integrated systems research. Entitled Integrated Systems Research for Sustainable Intensification in Smallholder Agriculture, the conference will deal with major components within systems research in agriculture. The purpose of the conference is to learn from research undertakings on integrated systems, with an emphasis on results: data, methods and lessons learned. The conference will take place at the Conference Center of the International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) in Ibadan, Nigeria, from March 3 to 6, 2015.
Theme: The Role of Systems Research in Sustainable Intensification
- Demonstrate and share experiences and evidence to the effect that Systems Approaches in agriculture research are effective and contribute to livelihoods and natural resource management;
- Share methods, tools and research approaches used in Systems Research;
- Explore opportunities for new partnerships in Systems Research for development;
- Identify opportunities for cross-system learning, and methods to do this effectively;
- Special peer-reviewed publication.
Core questions to be addressed include:
- How to move systems concepts into practice?
- How do we move to scale and impact with systems research and development?
- What is the value added of that approach? Why is Systems Research needed to achieve this?
Opening remarks by:
- Dr. Nteranya Sanginga, Director General, International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA)
- Dr. Kwesi Atta-Krah, Director, CGIAR Research Program on Integrated Systems for the Humid Tropics (Humidtropics)
- Dr. Akinwumi Adesina, Federal Minister of Agriculture and Rural Development, Nigeria
- Dr. Yemi Akinbamijo, Executive Director, Forum for Agricultural Research in Africa (FARA), Accra, Ghana
- Dr. Frank Rijsberman, Chief Executive Officer, CGIAR, Montpellier, France
- David W. Norman, Professor Emeritus, Kansas State University: Historical Trajectory of Farming Systems Research: Past, Present and Future
- Dr. Bernard Hubert, President, Agropolis International, France: Systems Thinking toward Institutional Innovation and Change
- Dr. Marie de Lattre-Gasquet, Senior Foresight Scientist, CGIAR Consortium Office: Facilitating Changes in Complex Humid Systems: Role of Foresight in Agricultural Research for Development
- Dr. Jacqueline Ashby, Senior Advisor, Gender and Research, CGIAR Consortium Office: Gender in Integrated Systems Research
- Dr. Dennis Garrity, Senior Fellow, World Agroforestry Centre (ICRAF), Nairobi: Understanding African Farming Systems as a Basis for Sustainable Intensification
- Dr. Linley Chiwona Karltun, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences (SLU), Uppsala: Systemic Nutrition Security Solutions for Transformative Change
- Dr. Andy Hall, Agriculture Flagship, CSIRO, Blackmountain, Canberra, Australia: Innovation Systems in the Context of Systems Research
- Dr. Fergus Sinclair, Systems Science Leader, World Agroforestry Centre (ICRAF): Systems Science at the Scale of Impact: Reconciling Bottom up Participation with the Production of Widely Applicable Research Outputs
Key session topics:
- Conceptual underpinning of Systems Research
- Putting the concept of sustainable intensification into practice:
- Market based intensification;
- Integration of cross-cutting issues (nutrition, gender & equity);
- Integrating productivity and natural resource management;
- Conceptual underpinning: sustainable intensification/systems research.
- Partnerships and institutional arrangements for innovation, scaling up and impact:
- From farm to landscape and further: integration of scales;
- Forming strategic partnerships;
- Innovation platforms for impact;
- Policy and institutions for change.
- Future directions
Plenary sessions, panel discussions, parallel sessions, poster session, open space discussions, working groups, and field visit.
Organizing Partners: IITA, ICRAF, ILRI, CIAT, Bioversity International, IWMI, CIP, AVRDC, Wageningen University, icipe, FARA
Organizing Secretariat: Humidtropics, IITA, Ibadan, Nigeria
Registration: to support our ability to share targeted information and updates to intending participants, you are requested to complete a simple online registration at https://humidtropics.cgiar.org/conference1/registration/
The call for papers and posters is now closed but if you wish to attend the conference, you can still register using the link above.
Any inquiries can be directed to Mrs. Willemien Brooijmans at W.Brooijmans@cgiar.org
Top photo: Murambi, Rwanda, by Bernard Vanlauwe/IITA.